Baptism & Marriage
Baptisms can be arranged both for children and adults. Often this is as part of the Sunday morning service, but separate baptism services can be held if required. Please contact the parish office for more information.
The marriage service should be the highlight of your wedding day and we will work with you to make sure it is. St Mary's is the perfect setting for a beautiful wedding with its medieval architecture and superb choir.
If you live in the Lace Market, the Victoria Centre or elsewhere in the parish, you are generally entitled to marry in St Mary's Church. However, an engaged couple are able to marry in this church if they can show just one of the following connections with the parish:
- One of you was baptised in the parish
- One of you was prepared for confirmation in the parish
- One of you has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- One of you has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- One of your parents, at any time after you were born, has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- One of your parents, at any time after you were born, has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- One of your parents or grandparents was married in the parish
For those who do not have any of these connections, there are two possible options:
- Attend the church for six months and become a regular member of the congregation. This is by far the easiest way, and it is an enjoyable way of getting to know the church community in preparation for your wedding.
- Obtain a Special Licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury. For details, see: http://www.facultyoffice.org.uk
For further information about getting married at St Mary's, please download one of the following leaflets: Weddings at St Mary's
For more information regarding getting married within the Church of England, please visit the website at:http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/weddings